Once the braces are removed or your Invisalign treatment is complete we will begin the retention stage of your treatment. Retention or, wearing retainers, are very important and necessary to maintain the position of the teeth that has been established at the end of your treatment. Your retention will be monitored by the Orthodontist, with occasional office visits for checkups, for a minimum 24 months. However, retention is for a lifetime! Your final orthodontic result depends on your retainers, so follow through with the hard work you’ve put in so far. Here are some tips to successfully maintain your new smile:
• Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
• Take your retainers out when eating…and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
• Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
• When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
• Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
• Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
• If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
• Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
• Retainer replacement is expensive…with proper care they will last for years!
• Remove retainers when swimming.
• Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.